Needless to say, it is a burden to move a boat trailer around as it requires significant strength to maneuver. Thankfully, you can rely on the best boat trailer dolly to save you time and effort.
Trailer dollies are available in different designs and sizes. It is easy to go for the cheapest product, but you should not forget to consider the quality, material, size, and weight capacity.
Continue reading and I will walk you through some of the top-rated trailer dollies as well as share insights to help you narrow down your choices.
|+ Heavy-duty construction|
|+ Powder-coated finish|
|+ Long & cushioned handle|
Trailer-Tug Trailer Dolly
|+ Cast iron wheels|
|+ Removable handle|
|+ Lifetime warranty|
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Boat Trailer Dolly Reviews
- 1. MaxxHaul 70225 Trailer Dolly
- 2. Tow Tuff TMD-800C Trailer Dolly
- 3. Trailer-Tug Trailer Dolly
- 4. Trailer Valet TVXL25 Jack/Leveler and Chock
- 5. Ultra-Tow Trailer Dolly
- 6. Tow Tuff TMD-1000OC HD Trailer Dolly
- 7. SuperHandy Electric Trailer Dolly
- 8. Trailer Valet RVR3 Motorized Dolly
- 9. Tow Tuff TMD-600AFF Trailer Dolly
- 10. Apex Boat TD-3500 Trailer Dolly
- 11. MaxxHaul 70881 Trailer Dolly
- 12. Rodrock Libra Trailer Dolly
- What is a Boat Trailer Dolly and How Does It Work
- Types of Boat Trailer Dollies
- Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Boat Trailer Dolly
- Buyer’s Guide
- Care and Maintenance
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 12 Boat Trailer Dolly Reviews
1. MaxxHaul 70225 Trailer Dolly
Made by a reputable brand, this boat trailer mover has a maximum capacity of 600 pounds. T possesses a heavy-duty steel construction that I am confident will withstand the test of time. It also has a powder-coated finish, which protects against rust and corrosion. Even with constant exposure to outdoor elements, its durability is not compromised.
I also love the 12-inch pneumatic tires, which are large and strong enough to support a heavy load. These are all-terrain tires to ensure smooth performance in different conditions. Plus, it has steel rims for maximum support, making sure that the tires do not easily deform.
The 1-7/8-inch hitch ball is another notable component of this boat dolly. It has a solid-forged and chrome-polished construction. This trailer dolly is compatible with most trailers, and hooking up the trailer is effortless.
To make it easy to use, the trailer dolly MaxxHaul has long cushioned handles that are comfortable to grip. I do not feel the weight of the trailer and boat thanks to this rubberized handle. It also allows for easy load management. The ergonomic design means that I do not feel most of the weight when I push and pull the trailer.
- Heavy-duty steel construction ensures durability
- Powder-coated finish resists rust and corrosion
- All-terrain pneumatic tires roll smoothly on different surfaces
- Long and cushioned handle allows easy maneuverability
- Short bolts and missing holes
2. Tow Tuff TMD-800C Trailer Dolly
This hand trailer dolly supports a maximum weight of 800 pounds. Beyond its capacity, I also love the 40-inch handle. This is long enough to provide me with additional leverage so that I can easily move even the heaviest trailers.
To accommodate trailers of different sizes, this has adjustable heights from 16.5 to 25.5 inches. Meanwhile, its hitch ball is 1-7/8-inch, which is compatible with a same-size or larger coupler.
The three-wheel design is also commendable as it promotes even weight distribution. In the middle, there is an eight-inch caster wheel. Plus, it has two 12-inch flat-free tires. They roll smoothly on different surfaces without requiring too much on my part. Additionally, there is a 30-inch wheel base that makes the trailer more stable, especially when it is heavy.
One more thing that I like in this Tow Tuff adjustable trailer dolly is its steel frame construction with a powder-coated finish. It has a solid build that supports heavy weight. I don’t have to worry that it will easily be damaged by corrosion.
- Adjustable height for different trailer sizes
- Three-wheel design distributes weight evenly
- Solid steel body with a powder-coated finish
- Remains stable even when the boat is heavy
- Small center wheel may not support heavy weight
- Slippery plastic hand grips
3. Trailer-Tug Trailer Dolly
If you need a sturdy trailer dolly, this is one option to consider. It supports a maximum tongue weight capacity of 3,500 pounds, which is great if you have a heavy boat. I attribute its high weight capacity to its solid construction of ⅛-inch thick mig-welded and cold-rolled steel.
I also like how this boat trailer caddy has a removable tow handle. Without the handle, it has a footprint of 20 x 24 inches, making it space-efficient. This easily fits in the trunk, so I can take it anywhere effortlessly with the detached handle. The handle also has a rubber push bumper that grants comfort when gripping.
Moreover, it is worth noting that this boat trailer tug comes with cast iron wheels, which are stronger than their plastic counterparts. They do not easily bend or deteriorate when carrying a heavy load.
Even better, it has urethane wheels. Compared to traditional pneumatic tires, they offer excellent shock absorption and traction when rolling on uneven terrains.
Another compelling reason to pick this trailer dolly is the lifetime warranty that the manufacturer offers. It shows how confident they are in the quality of the dolly. Do not forget to register the product upon receipt to be eligible for this perk.
- Thick mig-welded and cold-rolled steel frame supports heavy weight
- Removable handle for portability
- Cast iron wheels provide excellent structural integrity
- Urethane tires offer excellent shock absorption
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Heavy body makes it difficult to turn
4. Trailer Valet TVXL25 Jack/Leveler and Chock
Just from the design, it is easy to see why this is another top-rated option for a boat moving dolly. Weighing 60 pounds, it is heavier than most of the products that I have mentioned in this guide. But, the added weight is not a problem since it is indicative of its maximum tongue weight capacity of 1,000 pounds and a trailer weight of 10,000 pounds.
The patented 2-5/16-inch ball attachment is another notable feature. There is also a 2-inch ball, but I had to purchase it separately. I can change the ball size depending on the size of the trailer or the weight of the boat that I will tow.
It comes with 9.25-inch solid rubber tires that work well on different surfaces. I also admire how there is an automatic brake feature to stabilize the wheel chock and maintain the position of the trailer.
Plus, the tires will withstand a pressure of up to 500 pounds, which also speaks of how durable they are. They have maximum traction for smooth turns as well.
Like the tires, the body has a robust construction. It is made of top-notch steel with a powder-coated finish for protection from external elements that speed up wear. It also has brass bearings to ensure smooth movements.
- Heavy body supports significant tongue and trailer weight
- Patented ball attachment can be changed to suit the trailer
- Tires withstand heavy weight and pressure
- Ball hitch is difficult to secure
5. Ultra-Tow Trailer Dolly
Moving a trailer into storage or other places is a lot easier when I am using this boat hitch dolly. It has a 1,000-pound capacity, so it is appropriate for different boat sizes.
Plus, it has an option for adjusting heights from 21-1/4-inch to 34-5/8-inch, allowing it to accommodate various trailer types.
Even with a heavy load, it remains stable. Thanks to the 37-inch wide wheel base, it does not wiggle. I also love how it comes with a 10-inch center caster wheel, which rolls smoothly and steers easily on different surfaces. Meanwhile, with the 16-inch flat-free tires, it moves effortlessly regardless of the terrain.
It has a standard 40-inch handle that provides better leverage. The dolly is quicker to maneuver because of the comfortable handle. Even with a loaded trailer, the handle seems to take off a significant weight as it is a snap to move.
When evaluating options for a dolly trailer, I always look at the body construction. This model is made of solid steel. Its robust construction allows it to handle heavy loads. Furthermore, it has a hammer-tone and powder-coat finish to resist corrosion.
- Adjustable height makes it compatible with different trailers
- Wide wheel base for stability
- Robust steel frame for long-term functionality
- Does not fold for storage or transit
6. Tow Tuff TMD-1000OC HD Trailer Dolly
Gone were the days when moving boat trailers is a burden! With the three-wheel design of this heavy-duty trailer dolly, you can make your life easier! Compared to those with only two wheels, it is more stable, even when the load reaches its maximum capacity of 1,000 pounds.
With a ten-inch swivel caster, steering the trailer is effortless. Meanwhile, with the 16-inch flat-free tires, I am confident that it rolls smoothly on different terrains. They have a solid rubber construction for excellent impact absorption and traction, which will do well on grass and snow, among other surfaces.
The versatility of this Tow Tuff HD dolly is another impressive feature. It has an adjustable height from 21 to 33 inches, which makes it compatible with different trailer sizes. Also, it accommodates couplers that are two inches and larger.
Another thing that I love is its ease of assembly. It comes with the different parts needed to complete the installation. The dolly is ready in less than five minutes. Most of the work involves tightening bolts.
This Tow Tuff adjustable trailer dolly has a solid build. The steel frame accommodates even heavier boats within the weight limit. Plus, it has a powder coating to resist external damages, including rust and corrosion.
- Three-wheel design ensures the stability of the trailer
- Excellent traction even on grass and snow
- Adjustable height to meet the requirements of different trailers
- Easy to assemble
- Occupies a lot of storage space
7. SuperHandy Electric Trailer Dolly
Trusted even by industry professionals, this electric trailer dolly is perfect for demanding boat owners. It supports a maximum tongue weight of 600 pounds and a maximum trailer weight of 3,600 pounds.
This powered trailer dolly has an amazing motor, which is also largely responsible for its incredible performance. The motor has forward and reverse functions to complete several movements. It also has an adjustable speed from 0 to 1.5 mph. There is even overload protection, which protects the motor.
Some might think that it is noisy because it has a motor. However, it operates quietly despite being powerful. There is no annoying motor sound, making it easier to work. Even if it uses a 24V DC 800-watt motor, it is unobtrusive.
With an exclusive drive system, this electric boat dolly is user-friendly. It requires minimal maintenance even with frequent use. This will also help you save money as it lessens the need to spend on damaged spare parts.
The 13-inch all-terrain wheels are also impressive. They are amongst the largest of the products on this list. They make it easier to handle heavy loads while rolling smoothly. The tires are strong enough to deal with boats, jet skis, and snowmobile trailers.
- Powerful motor with overload protection
- Operates quietly even with a motor
- Patented drive system minimizes maintenance
- Adjustable speed to suit different applications
- Tires have poor traction
- Not for uneven terrains
8. Trailer Valet RVR3 Motorized Dolly
This motorized trailer dolly has a hauling capacity of 3,500 pounds on flat terrains. Meanwhile, it supports a maximum tongue weight capacity of up to 350 pounds.
It has two planetary gear motors. Whether it is in a single or dual-axle trailer, it offers unmatched performance. It also has an exclusive drive system, which makes it almost maintenance-free.
One thing that differentiates this electric boat trailer dolly from the other options on my list is its remote-control operation. I can operate the dolly even if I am up to 40 feet away from it. It is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. When it is full, the battery has an average runtime of 30 minutes.
It does not have the traditional pneumatic tires present in many of its competitors. Instead, it has a caterpillar tread, which is an endlessly rotating chain belt. With a sturdy construction, it provides excellent traction on different surfaces, including grass, gravel, and asphalt.
- Allows convenient remote operation
- Comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Sturdy caterpillar treads handle different surfaces
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Not for people on a budget
- Slow drive speed requires patience
9. Tow Tuff TMD-600AFF Trailer Dolly
This is a product I highly recommend to those looking for value for money. It is economical without compromising functionality. Made by one of the most trusted brands in the market, I can say with confidence that it won’t disappoint.
With a maximum tongue weight of 600 pounds, this is best paired with a small personal watercraft or jet ski trailer. It comes with a 1-7/8-inch hitch. Plus, the ball height is adjustable from 15-3/8 inches to 24-3/8 inches to accommodate different trailer sizes as long as the weight is within the stated limit.
More so, it has ten-inch flat-free tires to ensure mobility. They will not require any maintenance, such as inflation when the pressure is lower than necessary. The tires are properly spaced, which can ensure even distribution of load to keep the trailer stable.
The heavy-duty steel construction is also worth noting, similar to the other trailer dollies in this guide. It is solid enough to handle the maximum load capacity.
Even better, it is hammer-toned and powder-coated. No need to worry that corrosion will destroy the body, even with exposure to rain and snow.
- Provides excellent value for money
- Adjustable height to suit different trailers
- No-flat tires require minimal maintenance
10. Apex Boat TD-3500 Trailer Dolly
This heavy-duty utility trailer dolly promises ease of movement. It supports a maximum trailer weight of 3,500 pounds and 600 pounds of tongue weight. From small boats to personal watercraft, this is a remarkable choice!
The body has tubular steel construction, which ensures durability. To add, it has a hammered paint finish to protect against external damages.
This trailer dolly has adjustable hitch ball height. I can change the height of the 1.875-inch ball from 15.375 inches to 24.375 inches. This means that I can connect it to different trailers and I am assured that it delivers the same great performance.
Like most of the products I have reviewed in this guide, it comes with flat-free tires. With a diameter of ten inches, they are large enough to accommodate small boats without losing pressure. There’s no need to worry about tire replacements!
The assembly is a breeze. It comes with all the necessary hardware, including nuts and bolts. Within just a few minutes, I am ready to connect the dolly to my boat trailer. It is also inclusive of a 13-inch angled support stand, which will make the dolly more stable when holding a trailer in place.
- Adjustable hitch ball height for multi-trailer compatibility
- Durable paint finish protects against wear
- Non-flat tires promise many years of functionality
- Easy assembly and comes with the necessary hardware
- Difficult to make sharp turns
11. MaxxHaul 70881 Trailer Dolly
One of the best things about this trailer dolly is its patented design. I can convert the dolly from manual to towing position in a snap, making it multifunctional. This means that while I can pull it manually when moving my trailer, a more convenient option is to attach it to a lawn tractor or ATV through the clevis connection.
The dolly trailer comes with two pneumatic tires with a width of four inches and a diameter of 12 inches. The knobby tires are built for all terrains, so there’s no problem whether I use it on paved surfaces or grass. It also has robust steel rims, which allows the tires to maintain their structural integrity even after years of use.
Another good feature is the long handle, which provides excellent leverage. Even with a loaded trailer, maneuvering the dolly is easy. It also has easy-to-hold curved grips. Plus, it offers a three-stage adjustment, so I can customize the length depending on the preferred turning radius. There is a clevis hitch that locks the handle in the chosen position.
- Patented design allows manual and towing position
- Knobby tires with all-terrain functionality
- Three-stage adjustable handle improves maneuverability
- Not for large boat trailers
12. Rodrock Libra Trailer Dolly
With a maximum weight rating of 600 pounds, this two-wheel trailer dolly is built to handle a smaller vessel. It is good for a personal watercraft or jet ski trailer. For heavier and larger boats, I suggest looking for other trailer dollies.
Despite the minimal capacity, it does not compromise durability. Made of heavy-duty steel, it will last through the years without easily bending, as long as the stated weight capacity is observed.
More so, it is straightforward to assemble, even for beginners. I didn’t even have to look at the instructions as the process is easy. The box came with all the assembly hardware, including nuts and bolts. Within minutes, I am ready to test the dolly and tow my trailer!
It comes with two ten-inch tires. They have a solid and knobby construction to tackle a wide array of surfaces. The best thing is that they do not flatten, even when the load is maximized. This is also a good safety feature. If the tires suddenly deflate when the trailer is loaded, the boat can slide and cause damage or result in an injury.
- Has a tough steel body to guarantee longevity
- Comes with the assembly hardware needed
- Never-flat tires despite maximizing the load capacity
- Can be too short for some trailers
What is a Boat Trailer Dolly and How Does It Work
A dolly is a marine accessory that makes it easier to tow a boat trailer. It has two or three wheels that move the trailer around, even if it is heavy. It attaches to the trailer tongue. It is steered through the handle, allowing it to fit even in small spaces.
Once attached to the hitch, a trailer dolly will lift the front part of the boat. Most dollies will have a diagonal or support bar, which puts it in a stationary position. Once ready to move the trailer, push or pull using the handle.
Types of Boat Trailer Dollies
Depending on budget and trailer weight, boat owners can choose from two main types:
Hand Trailer Dolly
I recommend this if you are on a budget and if you do not mind doing the manual work for moving the trailer. The package includes different parts, most of which you will need to assemble yourself. It has a hitch ball, wheels, handle, and frame. It needs manual pulling and pushing, which is quite a burden with a heavy load.
Electric Trailer Dolly
An electric or motorized trailer dolly is more expensive, but it is worth the added cost. It is almost hands-free, making it easier to move a boat. I love how comfortable and convenient it is to use, especially in tight spaces. It is battery-operated and some have a remote to control the dolly even from a distance. For large and heavy boats, this is a great choice.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Boat Trailer Dolly
Thinking of reasons to invest in a dolly? Below are some of the most compelling benefits of using a trailer dolly:
- Easy to Maneuver: With a dolly, it is a breeze for me to maneuver a trailer, even if it has a hefty weight. From open to tight spaces, the wheeled construction makes it almost effortless to transfer a boat.
- Prevent Injury: No person in the right state of mind will attempt to lift a heavy boat. It can break bones and cause permanent injury. Thankfully, a dolly removes unnecessary strains on your body.
- Prevent Damage: When lifting and moving boats through a dolly, it is easier to secure a more stable position. Most dollies will also have a diagonal bar for resting position. The right dolly minimizes the possibility of damage to the boat and trailer.
- Move in Small Spaces: A tow vehicle cannot maneuver through tight spaces, so it is difficult to push or pull the boat in a small area. A dolly solves this problem. It is a space-efficient alternative to a trailer truck.
- Requires Minimal Maintenance: Dollies will not require heavy maintenance, especially the manual models. At the minimum, ensure proper storage. Other than that, it does not require complicated care and maintenance.
If there is one drawback, however, it would be the cost. It can be quite expensive, especially the advanced models.
Nonetheless, there are affordable basic options, such as the Giantex heavy-duty trailer dolly. Even so, I believe that the expensive ones are worth every dollar given their benefits.
With countless brands and models available, making the right choice isn’t easy. To help you narrow down your choices, below are the most important considerations.
This is the most important factor when choosing a dolly. There are two main technical specifications to look at. The first is the total trailer weight, which is the maximum weight of the trailer that the dolly supports. The second is the tongue weight, which is the total weight that the ball hitch can hold.
Most products will support a maximum tongue weight of 600 pounds, such as the Aquacarts trailer dolly. They are great for personal watercrafts, small boats, and jet ski trailers. If you need a 3000-lb trailer dolly, you will need motor-powered dollies. They are often more expensive. I suggest buying a model with a high weight limit.
Look for one that comes with a solid steel frame. It is sturdy even under pressure, preventing the body from bending or cracking under a heavy load. A powder-coated finish is also a must, which will protect the steel from rust and corrosion.
The most important function of the handle in a dolly is leverage. If you want more leverage, then choose a longer handle. This way, moving the trailer around will be easier. It is also critical to have rubber grips so that they are easy to hold. It will prevent calloused hands while also promoting the highest level of comfort.
A good trailer dolly has flat-free tires that do not require maintenance. No need to inflate and they won’t shrink over time, even when handling heavy weights. It should also have excellent traction, so it rolls smoothly on different surfaces. Most affordable models will have two wheels, but if you want better stability under a hefty load, then a three-wheeled dolly is better.
This is the part of the dolly that connects directly to the trailer. It is usually 1-7/8 or 2 inches. These sizes can accommodate larger couplers, but they won’t work on smaller sizes. It is best to pick one with an adjustable hitch height, so that it can accommodate different trailer types.
It is good if the trailer dolly comes with a lifetime warranty. At the minimum, there should be a one-year warranty. Within the warranty coverage, the dolly is covered against problems in workmanship. The manufacturer will replace or repair the dolly when there is a problem.
Care and Maintenance
With constant exposure to dirt, dust, water, and other external elements, dollies are prone to damage. Aside from rust and corrosion, dents and flat tires are common problems. Here are some of the best things to do to keep the dolly in its peak condition:
- Proper storage is one of the main requirements for dolly maintenance. Keep it away from rain, snow, direct sunlight, and other things that can speed up the damage. When not used, stow it properly.
- Inspect for dents, cracks, and other structural damages. If the dolly is used accordingly and the weight capacity is observed, these problems will most likely not happen. Otherwise, do not use it when there are broken pieces as it results in a weaker body.
- Inspect the wheels and make sure they are inflated properly. A lot of the trailer dollies I mentioned in this guide come with flat-free wheels. Despite this, regularly check to see that the wheels are not shrunken.
- Clean the dolly when needed. Soap and water are enough for general cleaning. Lubricate the moving parts to retain their smooth mechanisms. Pick dirt or mud off the tires.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who makes the best boat trailer dolly?
MaxxHaul, Tow Tuff, Trailer Tug, Trailer Valet, and Harbor Freight trailer dolly are some of the names that stand out. Even if you go online and read trailer dolly reviews, you will see that these are amongst the most trusted brands.
Can I rent a boat trailer dolly?
Yes, you will find different brands of trailer dollies available for rent. This is a good option for one-time use. However, if you are regularly moving boat and utility trailers, then it is better to buy a dolly.
How to make a boat trailer dolly?
If you have the time and patience, then a dolly can also be a DIY project. It isn’t a straightforward task, but it is possible. Here’s how you can do it:
- Start by building the frame. It supports the weight of the boat and trailer, so make sure it is robust. You can use aluminum or metal depending on the available material.
- After assembling the frame, proceed to the handle. You can use an old handle from a lawnmower.
- With the frame and handle now set up, don’t forget the boat trailer dolly wheels. They are amongst the most important parts as they will steer the dolly and support the weight of the trailer. Use large wheels made of robust materials to make the DIY dolly more dependable.
- Next, attach the hitch ball. This is the part that directly connects to the trailer.
How to set up and use?
Most dollies will come pre-assembled and require minimal assembly. It comes with the necessary hardware, including nuts and bolts. A comprehensive manual is also available to provide detailed instructions for installation. Some popular manufacturers will even have online videos to guide through the assembly.
Once assembled, attach the trailer coupler. See to it that the hitch ball is at the right height. Pushing the handle will lift the tongue of the trailer. The ball assembly makes it easier to maneuver the trailer, especially when making sharp turns.
How can I use a trailer dolly safely?
Choose a dolly that is suitable for the weight of the trailer. Make sure the hitch ball is properly connected to the coupler. Inspect the dolly for potential damages before using it.
It is also important that you use it on an even surface. If the load is heavy, your best option is a dolly with three wheels. For large boats, use a trailer dolly 3000-lb for improved support.
Where can I buy?
The best place to buy a trailer dolly is online. Websites like Amazon, Walmart, and Home Depot offer a great selection from different manufacturers. You can find a good one regardless of your budget. You can also purchase directly from the website of different manufacturers.
Forget about manually moving a boat trailer, especially in tight spaces. The best boat trailer dolly is your savior, including the products I listed above. This marine accessory will prevent injuries and damaged properties. It works on different surfaces, making sure that it is effortless to move a boat.
I am passionate about water sports and technical fields, so combining both makes me interested in making contents about boat accessories. With my partner, we went on many trips and sports games together, which led us to think about how we can spread our joys and passions to many people.