Besides thinking about how much fun you can have with your friends and family on your pontoon, you must find the right pontoon boat cover. This item protects your pontoon boats from wear and tear during regular use. Hence, it extends their lifespan.
When they’re not in use, you have to protect them from harsh sunlight, rain, water, and dirt. Without a shield from harmful elements, your pontoon can be dirty, stained, contracted, and chipped in just a week.
Here’re some important factors you should pay attention to when selecting the right pontoon boat cover while in water or in storage:
- Fit – Fit is a critical requirement when buying boat cover. Check if your boat requires an 18ft, 20 ft, 24 ft, or even larger cover to ensure no debris and moisture can enter it.
- Material – It’s recommended to choose polyester, nylon, and marine-grade polyester canvas. These fabrics are resilient, as they can block UV rays, strong wind, and water.
- Seal and straps- The straps of your chosen cover should be easy enough to install yet secure enough to endure strong wind and a heavy amount of water. Make sure to check the type of seal and stitches before purchase.
With a wide range of pontoon boat cover brands available in the market, it’s your preferences and boat requirements that determine what the best pontoon boat covers are.
Check out the reviews of the best products below and a detailed buying guide to answer all your questions about boat covers.
Vortex Canvas Pontoon
|+ Provides all weather protection|
|+ With 5-year warranty|
|+ Waterproof 600D canvas|
North East Harbor Pontoon Cover
|+ 600D polyester fabric|
|+ Keeps the pontoon dry under high humidity|
|+ Comes with a free storage bag|
RVMasking Pontoon Boat Cover
|+ Blocks any damaging elements|
|+ Stable against 30mph wind|
|+ With storage bag, 3-year warranty|
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Pontoon Boat Cover Reviews
- What is Pontoon Boat Cover
- Types of Pontoon Boat Cover
- Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Pontoon Boat Cover
- Buyer’s Guide
- Care and Maintenance
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 5 Pontoon Boat Cover Reviews
1. Vortex New Beige Ultra Canvas Pontoon
This is my favorite among the well-made Vortex pontoon boat covers. I don’t look for other brands since this company makes reliable boat covers that can last for years. It fits my 20-ft pontoon boat perfectly.
It’s so easy to put on without needing a hand. Furthermore, it’s long enough to cover the entire boat including the deck, battery or tank storage area, and outboard motor.
Continuously using this pontoon cover made me realize that it provides all weather protection. It won’t allow sunlight to eat up some parts of the pontoon boat. Debris, dust, leaves, and unwanted particles can’t pass through it.
I just worked on making a better PVC pole system to prevent pooling. But when pooling occurred a few times, not a single drop of water got into my boat’s interior. Believe it or not, I collected around 40 gallons of water from the sagging area of the boat cover.
Due to its waterproof ability, we can use it for winter. When summer comes, our pontoon boat remains dry and ready to use. These are the advantages of the heavy-duty 600D marine-grade canvas which is the reason why it’s fair to offer a 5-year warranty for this pontoon boat cover.
- Long enough to fit 20-ft pontoon boat
- Easy to put on to provides all weather protection
- Heavy-duty and waterproof 600D marine-grade canvas
- With 5-year warranty
- With elastic band for a snug fit
- Instructions about straps should have been provided
2. North East Harbor Gray Pontoon Cover
North East Harbor is my favorite among the covers that I’ve used. It’s a lighter gray than the Yescom pontoon boat cover. With its breathable material and waterproof fabric and tie-down straps, it protects my 20-foot pontoon well. Its maximum length makes this a 24-foot pontoon boat cover too.
This cover fits a wide range of pontoon boats due to its heavy shock cord hem. That’s why it’s also a trailerable pontoon boat cover. Whether using it for in the water or when transport, it serves every boater well.
I can say that this is one of the excellent winter pontoon boat covers because I saved a lot from not doing shrink wrap. Even though I would buy it every winter, which I don’t need to do, it’s still affordable as it has a low price.
I use vent poles to ensure that my pontoon boat is dry inside, even if there is high humidity and rainstorm. This 600D polyester fabric also does well in protecting the pontoon against the hot sun. However, it takes a toll on this cover as there are some faded sections.
It happens when there’s direct sun, but the discoloration doesn’t get in the way of protecting my pontoon. It doesn’t matter, as it’s all about how it serves its purpose.
- Trailerable with a proper fit for 20 – 24 ft pontoon boats
- An affordable and efficient winter cover made with heavy shock cord hems
- Keeps the pontoon dry under high humidity, rain storm, and heat
- 600D polyester fabric endures the weight of pooling water
- Comes with a free storage bag
- The color becomes faded after staying under direct sunlight for a long period
3. RVMasking Waterproof Ripstop Trailerable Pontoon Boat Cover
This pontoon cover is thick enough to hold water, snow, and ice in sunken areas for long hours, but no liquid seeps through it. Those who live in places with heavy rain will be grateful for this product.
Since it can protect the pontoon from the sun, I won’t be surprised if boaters will think of this as one of the pontoon boat covers while docked on summer days.
Moreover, it’s windproof due to the elastic hem and double stitching for a custom fit, top and bottom strap, and buckles and ribbons. Based on my experience using this cover, it remains firm against 30 MPH wind.
Aside from the outstanding 800D polyester used to make this pontoon boat cover, the manufacturer created a layer that can fight off UV, rain, snow, dust, and scratches.
With the dual air vents located on the tail’s sides, moisture build-up is prevented. So, every pontoon boat with this cover is dry all the time without the threat of molds and mildew. It’s indicated that it can cover boats a length of 21 to 24 feet.
I’m happy there’s more than enough coverage for my 22-ft boat. It didn’t fall short on the beam width of my pontoon and its outboard motor. Though this is relatively heavy, I can’t complain as it’s a trivial matter compared to its many advantages.
- Blocks any damaging elements like UV, rain, snow, dust, and even scratches
- Liquid can’t seep through its 800D polyester
- Has dual air vents to prevent mold and mildew build-ups
- Stable against 30mph wind with elastic hem, straps, and double stitching
- Can cover boats a length of 21 to 24 feet
- With storage bag, 3-year warranty, and 30-day money-back guarantee
- Relatively heavy
4. EliteShield Pontoon Boat Cover
This boat cover is made of marine-grade polyester that is breathable and waterproof. This material has resistance against UV rays and easy tearing.
These characteristics prove that it’s worthy of being a mooring cover. I have peace of mind when using this pontoon boat cover while on water. It’s also great to have it in boat storage.
Since this is breathable, some vents don’t tolerate the formation of molds and mildew. Dirt, bird droppings, and pollutants can’t reach the pontoon boat. Hence, this is the right pontoon boat cover that can prevent rusting and other kinds of damage.
I like how it seemingly has a custom fit because it’s designed for pontoon boats and deck boats. It can cover 25ft to 28ft boats securely with the tie-down straps and buckles. An elastic cord sewn around the bottom is a form of reinforcement.
These are quick-release parts that justifies its suitability for trailering and mooring. We don’t have to be reluctant to utilize it in these activities as it can withstand the wind. Also, we can’t always find a good snap on pontoon boat covers like this one. The straps have a webbing style so we can secure our pontoon boat on the trailer.
- Breathable and waterproof for marine use
- Rresistant against UV, molds, mildew, dirt, pollutants, and easy tearing
- Ideal for mooring and trailering with quick-release parts
- Can cover 25ft to 28ft pontoon boats with the tie-down straps and buckles
- Easy to connect and secure webbing-style straps
- No instructions on how to connect straps and buckles
5. WFLNBH Boat Cover
Boaters who are in search of quality yet cheap pontoon boat covers should look at this design. Its fabric coating technology is reliable in keeping pontoon boats safe in storage.
Dirt, stain, and water will surely not get past it. I store my pontoon boat under a lush tree, and everything goes well. However, I haven’t tried to store it in an open area, to be sure. I’m happy with this boat cover because I don’t have to spend a lot to protect my pontoon boat.
I like the snug and custom fit as it’s the perfect size for my boat’s length and beam width. It’s an easy cover pontoon price, therefore even inexperienced boaters can put this around the boat.
Thanks to its quick-release buckles, strap system, double-stitched seams, thick cotton lining, elastic cord, and hem. This pontoon cover stays in place when the boat is exposed to windy days.
If only there were adjustable straps snapped, I could use this for trailering. Despite the heavy-duty elastic cord, straps are crucial, so it still holds on when transported. So, I just bought another cover suitable for transporting.
- Applies fabric coating technology for pontoon’s protection
- Dirt, stain, and water can’t penetrate to harm the pontoon
- Easy to put on with quick-release buckles, strap system,
- Stable with double-stitched seams, thick cotton lining, and elastic cord
- PEVA fabric has resistance to highlighting the damage
- Straps are not enough for trailering
What is Pontoon Boat Cover
A pontoon boat cover is made to achieve the goal of protecting pontoon boats. It’s much better than a boat tarp. This cover is designed to fit pontoon boats, so liquid and moisture can’t get into it.
Furthermore, these covers can hold weight from pooling water, snow, and ice without being ripped.
Using it can protect not just the entire boat but the accessories and pieces of furniture as well. It blocks dents, scratches, and other kinds of mess.
Types of Pontoon Boat Cover
There are numerous boat covers in the market, some of which are designed to fit pontoons. To ensure a snug fit, a custom cover is made like the Bennington boat covers.
For example, these custom pontoon boat covers have the exact fit on the pontoon seats. Due to their special features, it comes with a hefty price tag. A cover with a semi-custom fit has a lower cost but it’s made to fit certain boat designs.
Some boaters prefer aftermarket covers to custom covers which are laborious to put on a boat. On the other hand, the pontoon boat covers in this article have a universal fit. For example, they can fit pontoon boats within 21 to 24 feet.
Apart from size, various covers are made based on the pontoon types. They can be for sunbathing, swimming, fishing, or watersports. Some pontoons are large enough to have plumbing systems, bathrooms, and changing rooms.
As you can see, these purposes and variations explain that there are other kinds of covers besides those with a universal fit. You can ask an expert to find out the appropriate cover for your pontoons.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Pontoon Boat Cover
- A hot and humid climate is not good for many things including pontoons. With the cover, they’re protected from the damaging effect of high temperatures.
- A pontoon cover saves your boat from wet and cold weather. In this setting, your pontoon is prone to moisture build-up that causes mold and mildew growth.
- Pontoon boat covers work in maintaining the aesthetics of your pontoon. The paint won’t easily fade if there’s a cover, especially with sun exposure.
- Cleaning the whole pontoon is not an easy job. You have to be thankful for the boat cover as it helps minimize dirt and pollutants from sticking on your pontoon. Thus, you must get a quality cover for boat storage. It contributes a great deal to maintaining the good condition of your pontoon.
- A cover conceals your pontoon so it doesn’t grab the thieves’ attention. It will delay or even cancel their intended intrusion because they can’t immediately get into your boat.
- Aside from dirt and pollutants, some animals can leave a mess in your pontoon if it’s left unattended and without cover. If you don’t put the cover on it, you’ll likely need some unplanned cleaning.
There’s a drawback if you get a cover that is not in the right size, as it will be useless. That’s why you have to be precise when measuring your boat and decide carefully when buying a cover.
Here are the factors that you have to consider when buying a cover for your pontoon.
Finding out that you have the wrong size of pontoon cover will surely cause frustration. To not make this happen, refer to the following chart for getting the pontoon length even without measuring.
|Number of passengers||Pontoon length|
|Two to six passengers||18 to 20 feet|
|Six to ten passengers||22 to 24 feet|
|Over ten passengers||24 feet or longer|
The type of fabric
The ideal fabric for pontoon covers is polyester and nylon. The former is known to be UV resistant and it also impedes hazards that can damage the pontoon. Nylon, as a lightweight material, produces a cover that is easy to handle.
This material has high tensile and compressive strength that paves the way for an adjustable strap tightening system. Both of these materials have their pros and cons. You can choose any of them given that it meets your needs.
Polyester dries quickly and it has pilling resistance. On the other hand, nylon is tougher than the softer polyester. You may also choose a cover made of marine-grade canvas that showcases resistance against water and ripping.
But the boat cover industry favors polyester and nylon. To instill the same characteristics of the canvas, a marine-grade polyester canvas was born.
Type of Seal
The support system typically has two types of seals which are sewn and glued. It’s wise to invest in a waterproof boat cover with sewn parts. The sewn feature strengthens the areas of the cover that are prone to wear and tear.
The glued system is an affordable way to finish a boat cover. It may suit the budget of some people but some kinds of glue dissolve in the water while others melt under the sun.
Care and Maintenance
- Don’t let leaves, sticks, and other debris stay on the cover as they can create scratches and holes.
- Pooling should be prevented even though a cover can hold it. You have to put support poles, additional straps, and bows under the cover.
- You also have to worry about the pontoon cover so make sure that it’s secure in its place before you leave.
- Study the boat’s design including the trolling motors, windshields, depth finders, and other components that take form before putting the cover. This is to prevent tearing the fabric. You may add paddings for assurance.
- Brush off dirt on the cover by using a soft brush. Then, you can rinse it with lukewarm water.
- It’s not advisable to use detergent on a boat cover as it only encourages mold and mildew.
- Before folding the cover to store, make sure the whole thing is dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are pontoon boat covers waterproof?
Pontoon boat covers that are made of polyester, nylon, and marine-grade canvas are waterproof.
How do you size a pontoon boat cover?
You have to begin measuring the pontoon’s length which is from the bow to the stern. The next step is to get the beam width which is the widest part of the pontoon.
Should I use a regular cover on my pontoon boat?
You can use a regular cover on your pontoon boat but it won’t snugly fit. Furthermore, the regular cover might not have strong straps enough to handle the heavy rain water or strong winds.
How long do pontoon covers last?
Pontoon covers are expected to last for a year or one and half years. But with proper maintenance, you can extend its lifespan. Some manufacturers offer warranties in case some parts got damaged. A replacement will be sent to you.
Just like other vessels, pontoon boats need protection. The best pontoon boat cover should be waterproof, and resistant against UV, moisture, dirt, and pollutants. It also prevents dents, scratches, and some mess.
The benefits from the boat cover maintain the aesthetics of your pontoon. Also, it’s easier to maintain the cleanliness of your pontoon if you put a cover on it.
Ten years of enjoying countless trips on boats never made me love them any less! So I am here to put all those experiences into good use for other boaters who want to have a safe and fun trip with their friends and families.