If this is your first time going on a cruise, there’s a good chance you want to know what to wear on a boat cruise party.
Most think about boat parties as nighttime gatherings requiring more or less formal attire. However, fun celebrations can also happen in the daytime, where casual clothing is more suitable. Hence, determining what to wear on a boat party hinges on the event’s details.
Please read on to learn more about boat party dress ideas.
Table of Contents
- Dressing for a Boat Cruise Party
- Footwear for Boat Parties
- Accessories to Enhance Your Look
- Dressing Tips for Boat Party
Dressing for a Boat Cruise Party
Getting invited to a boat party is a privilege many can only dream of. Hence, if you get that elusive invite to fun and celebrations aboard a luxurious yacht, you’ll want to look your best. So, how do you dress for a boat party?
1. Casual Outfits and Beachwear
Many boat parties happen in the daytime, requiring guests to be in their most comfortable boat cruise attire. Hence, it’s not uncommon to see a boat party attire consisting of jeans or shorts and white shirts.
If you’re a fan of Miami boat parties, you’ll need the best booze cruise outfits to help you have fun, enjoy the sights, listen to music, and down several kegs of alcohol without worrying about ruining your dress.
Men could be bare top with shorts, displaying their abs, while ladies can be in their bikinis and other swimwear.
- Interestingly, female boat party goers have more casual style options. They could wear a swimsuit under their shorts or flowing skirts and dresses and match them with a wide-brimmed hat.
- A bikini top can also be an excellent boat party outfit female They could always reveal their shapely bodies if they decide to take a dip in the water after the party.
- On the other hand, male guests can pick swimming shorts to complement a simple tee. Trousers with a collared shirt also work. And if you want something more comfortable, a linen shirt is always an excellent option as casual boat attire for a party
2. Formal Clothing
Some yacht cruise parties require guests to be in semi-formal or formal attire. Hence, the yacht party theme attire shouldn’t stray from the organizer’s goal.
Unfortunately, the boat ride party might leave the specifics in the invitation. So, what should you wear to an evening yacht party?
- Cocktails and formal dinners aboard a luxury yacht demand respect for the hosts and other guests. Hence, formal men’s yacht attire can include collared shirts, jackets, and slacks. Try a vest over your white shirt to make it more “presentable.”
Alternatively, khaki pants would look nice with well-cared-for dinner suits. This boat dinner outfit is comfortable and speaks well of the gentleman wearing it.
- On the other hand, formal boat cruise outfits for ladies can include long dresses with a soft and smooth fabric, chic pantsuits, and flowing skirts. Close-fitting clothing that offers a glimpse of the natural body shape also works.
Ladies can also wear slacks to dinner parties aboard a luxury yacht. They can match these lower garments with blazers or simple yet elegant tops. Women can also check the flair dress code to pick the right attire for the evening onboard.
- Sleeveless dresses for boat parties are also an excellent choice. It’s the perfect dinner getup with after-party swimming. Ladies can easily take their dresses off and change into their swimming attire. And if the night is cold, a knitted sweater should keep the lady warm and cozy.
3. At Daytime
Daytime outfits to wear on a yacht include shorts and t-shirts or collared shirts for men and skirts or sundresses for women. Ladies could also wear tank tops and shorts or swim wear underneath shorts.
Although boating in the sea is breezy, the sun’s rays can still make the experience uncomfortable. Hence, your daytime outfit for a boat cruise must keep you cool and comfy.
4. At Night
You might be cruising in sunny Florida, but nighttime boating adventures can still be chilly. Hence, cardigans and jackets are always excellent choices. You can wear these clothes over your attire, allowing you to remove them quickly if the evening turns hot.
Footwear for Boat Parties
Our party yacht clothes ideas won’t be complete without proper footwear. As a rule, footwear should complement the attire and conform to the party theme. Hence, you might want to contact the party organizer and ask for the specifics.
The best footwear for boat parties has flat, non slip soles, not high heels. You can wear sandals, slippers, sneakers, rubber-soled shoes, and other footwear with soft soles.
You don’t want to damage the yacht’s pristine floor or slip and fall on the deck, breaking your back. You can still look dashing with flat shoes without undermining balance and safety.
Accessories to Enhance Your Look
Clothes aren’t the only things that will make you stand out in the crowd at a boat party. If you consider the following things to bring on a boat party, there’s a good chance you’ll be a head-turner.
- Matching headwear is always a style statement at boat parties. Consider a wide-brimmed hat or a classy bandana to complement your casual, smart, or formal boat partying attire.
- Small jewelry (i.e., ring bands, bracelets, and necklaces) can complement your attire, while bold and loud pieces can make you an eyesore.
- Eyewear might not be as elegant as jewelry, but it can draw attention to your face. Moreover, a good sailor’s eyewear can protect the eyes against glare from the water. A photochromic sunglass is perfect for transitioning from daytime to nighttime without removing the glass.
The following aren’t accessories but can improve your look at boat parties.
- Bronze or tan lines look chic but can detract from your elegance at boat parties. Hence, we recommend sunscreen with the correct SPF rating to help you achieve a more vibrant glow.
- Pay attention to your hairstyle, especially if you have long tresses. You can style the hair in a bun or as a ponytail. You could even do a braid and form it into a neat lump on your head.
Dressing Tips for Boat Party
Here are some more tips on how to dress for boat party events.
1. Factors to Consider to Achieve a Chic and Trendy Look
- You can be chic without overshooting your budget.
- Consider your body type because some attire looks better on some people than others.
- Choose a boat party attire that’s perfect for the climate. You cannot wear sleeveless dresses and summer outfits on a winter boat party, lest you suffer from the bitter cold.
- Check the boat party’s theme before choosing attire. Is it a bachelorette party, a booze party, or an evening with corporate bosses and clients?
2. Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing Your Outfit
- Don’t wear damaged or overly worn-out clothing to a boat party.
- High heels are a no-no on yacht parties, even if they look great with your formal attire.
- Don’t wear dark-colored outfits during the day and light-colored ones at night. Do the reverse.
- Don’t wear body-hugging clothing unless it’s swimming attire.
- Although some resources recommend nautical wear, most don’t.
What are the best colors to wear on a cruise?
Black, navy blue, burgundy, red, royal blue, and other solid hues are the best colors to wear to a boat party in the winter. We recommend dark-colored clothing in winter because they absorb heat more efficiently than light-colored options. These colors will keep you warm.
Meanwhile, the best colors for summer boat outfits are white, yellow, orange, and other light hues. Light or baby blue is also an excellent choice. These colors “repel” heat, allowing you to feel more comfortable.
Are there any dress code restrictions for boat parties?
The boat party dress code depends on the host. However, most outfits for yacht party events are either smart or casual. If the host or party organizer requires guests to wear semi-formal or formal attire, casual clothing is a no-no.
Can I wear high heels to a boat cruise party?
Although you can “technically” wear high heels to a boat cruise party, we advise against it.
You’re not in a stationary ballroom. Instead, the boat is bobbing up and down and rolling left and right in the water. The pointy heel offers very little surface area contacting the floor, making you at risk for falls.
What things should I avoid wearing at a boat cruise party?
Please don’t wear expensive clothes when you party on a boat cruise. You might “misplace” them, somebody takes a special interest in them, or damage them beyond repair. That goes the same for jewelry and accessories. You’re better off with inexpensive yet classy items.
What to wear on a boat cruise party depends on your preferences and fashion style. Although you can pick almost anything in your wardrobe, we recommend comfortable yet chic clothing. The attire could be simple yet elegant, and never worry about burning your skin.
Smart or casual attire is perfect in most boat parties unless the organizer wants you in formal or semi-formal wear. The don’ts are equally important, including not wearing high heels and high-end clothing and accessories.
We hope this article provided some valuable insights on what to wear when partying on a boat.
Read more: Outfit ideas on a boat ride
Ten years of enjoying countless trips on boats never made me love them any less! So I am here to put all those experiences into good use for other boaters who want to have a safe and fun trip with their friends and families.